Nepal’s second city, Pokhara, is laid-back, spiritually rejuvenating, and full of activities for every type of traveler. The abundance of things to do and see will surprise you. Here are 17 things to see and do in Pokhara:
1. Do Boat trip on Phewa Lake: One of the best things to do in Pokhara is to go for a boat ride in Phewa Lake. You can hire a colorful boat from some rental stores at reasonable prices.
2. Visit the The World Peace Pagoda: You can climb to the bright white World Peace Pagoda in an hour. Outside of it being a great hike, the stupa is an important Buddhist monument and symbol of peace – housing relics of the Buddha.
3. Eat delicious food and drink Nepalese beer: You can find dozens of restaurants and cafes where you can enjoy the view and the nice weather from a hammock or lounge chair! Phewa Lake promenade is the favorite place to enjoy happy hour drinks with a beautiful sunset view.
4. Hike or climb mountain: Pokhara is the base for a number of beautiful hikes such as the Annapurna Circuit, Poon Hill or Annapurna Base Camp Trek. These hikes are accessible to everyone.
5. Do a Helicopter Tour to Annapurna Base Camp.
6. Visit the International Mountain Museum: It has a stunning collection of artefacts, original gears, stories and photographs of the mountains, their inhabitants' and the explorers who climbed some of the highest peaks in the world.
7. Do a Hot Air Balloon on the top of Pokhara.
8. Watch the sunrise from Sarangkot Mountain: located just outside the center of Pokhara, Sarangkot is a beautiful village in Pokhara that gives you a panoramic view of Himalayan peaks and other mesmerizing hillocks.
9. Do some Massage: Nothing is better than a wonderful massage where you can feel the energy coming back into your tired limbs.
10. Visit the peaceful Begnas Lake: It’s good place to see authentic Nepal. Around the lake are some small villages and houses and you can do some nice hikes here. Only 30min driving from Pokhara.
11. Go to the open-air cinema: Movie Garden is an outdoor movie theatre hidden up a bushy stone path on the north end of Lakeside. This affordable, comfy and quaint spot is one of Pokhara’s best-kept secrets. The films that are shot are often classics or films that have been released for some time.
12. Go rafting: Seti River is one of the most beautiful rivers in Nepal with gushing string of white waters. It is also said to be one of the warmest rivers. Rafting in Seti River is a thrilling adventure that will never let the excitement fade away.
13. Go paragliding: In the vicinity of the city, you can do great paragliding with a view of the Himalayas and Pokhara Lake. Departure is usually from Mount Sarangkot.
14. Explore the Mahendra Cave: It’s a large limestone cave famous for its stalactites and stalagmite rocks.
15. Head to Devil’s Fall: Also known locally as the Patale Chhango, this beautiful waterfall is located about 2 kilometers south-west of the Pokhara Airport on the Siddhartha Highway. The most amazing thing about this fall is that you can clearly hear the sound of the water which eventually strikes the fall.
16. Shopping on Lakeside Drive: Lakeside drive is the buzzing tourist center of Pokhara where you can get trekking gear or any kind of souvenir that tickles your fancy.
17. Do a Yoga retreat or certification: Pokhara is the place in Nepal to do yoga. Discover the reasons why you should do a Yoga Retreat or a Teaching Training Course in Pokhara